Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Have More Followers Than You!

One day, Maya said to Parmatma "In this world, I have more followers and worshippers than you". Parmatma replied, "really now? we shall see..."
Parmatma then dressed up as a Saadhu, or saint, and visited a poor man's house. The poor man welcomed the holy being into his home and offered him vacancy for the night. Parmatma agreed but only on the condition that he stayed in a room that is cut off from the outside world and that he would be the only one in that empty room. The poor man agreed and Parmatma locked himself in for the night.
A little while later (surprise, surprise) Maya decided to also visit this poor man so she dressed herself up as a beautiful woman...she looked quite attractive. When she arrived at the poor man's house he was breathtaken by her beauty. She drank from a golden cup which she then threw to the ground. The poor man picked it up and then handed it to her saying, "hey...you dropped this," to which she then replied, "no no my friend...this is your cup now".
"For realz!?" the poor man thought, "she gives me golden gifts! She must stay here!"
The poor man then preceded to ask Maya if she wanted to stay at his house, but she asked for an empty room which was isolated from the outside world. "I have only one room that fits your desire but a holy Saadhu is living there," he explained.
Without much convincing, the poor man decided to kick the Saadhu out since this enticing woman would provide him with luxury.
When Maya and Parmatma met, they instantly recognized eachother despite their outer forms.
"HA, I told you so...you just got kicked out of this guys house cause he likes me more," Maya chuckled, "this proves that I have more worshippers than you!"
Alas, it is true...we poor mortal beings are always enticed and pursuaded by Maya, we prefer her over Waheguru. She provides us with comforts, luxuries, and a false sense of belonging. May we find strength in us to become the slaves of Waheguru, not Maya.
(Story told by my Mata Ji who heard it in katha once...forgive me but I've spiced it up a bit...I hope the moral hasn't changed)

No comments: